I focus on what students require to have the healthiest and best experience possible in school. I find teaching very rewarding because I get to share my passion for learning with my students, and I can do so in a fun way. I love explaining new ideas to students, and seeing them connect these concepts to their own experiences. These are the elements I strive to include in my classroom:
- Learning by Doing. My teaching instruction is inspired my John Dewey. I believe that students learn best through hands-on activities and experiencing what they learn about through play.
- Incorporates all Learning Strategies. I incorporate learning strategies in my classroom. I understand that students learn in multiple ways, and I accommodate my lessons to fit these. The best way a student can learn, is reading and taking notes on a concept, discussing with peers, reading diagrams, and experiencing through activities. I use group work, discussions, individual work, movement activities and readings to effectively teach classroom content and fit the student’s needs.
- Positive Relationships. All students have the right to learn and do so in a comfortable environment. My classroom is a community; everyone works together to achieve the common goal. I strive to have students feel comfortable in their learning environment, because that is the best environment they can learn in. I establish positive relationships with my students to enhance the learning experience.
- Environmental Education. It is incredibly important to learn about the environment and include nature in the learning setting. As a class we will occasionally work outside and use the outdoor space for movement activities.
- Valuable Adaptations. I recognize that students need to feel comfortable in order to learn, so I give them the guidance and tools that they need to be successful learners. I provide adaptations for all my lessons to help them strive. Students will have the opportunity to discover what helps them best in their learning process.
- Movement Activities. I use movement activities in my day-to-day teaching because it allows the students to recharge and maintain their enthusiasm and energy. We will do different stretches, yoga poses, and dancing to help them when they are needing a break from work.
- Alternative Seating. I respect the student’s needs for movement when learning. My classroom will have flexible seating to create a welcoming and comfortable area to work. The students are able to freely use these tools when they feel it is necessary. This allows the students to learn in a different environment that will facilitate their learning.